Thursday, May 04, 2006

中国到了

We arrived on the evening of the 2nd, and spent yesterday cycling north towards JingHong.

The boat ride was great. We made it - along with the crew of seven and what must have been nearly a thousand tons of dried Longyan - from Chiang Saen to GuanLei in three days and three nights. I have many good stories to tell, including the one about winching the barge through fast and low water, the threat of a two week trip, the giant lizard (dead of course) that the crew bought from some Lao hunters, the dead body, and of course the night out on the town with the boys after we got into port.

But those stories are for another time.

Unfortunatly, this internet cafe won't let me plug in my camera, likely for fear that I will send out sensitive pictures. Ha.

Unsuprisingly, I can't actually look at this blog from China, the compromise being that I can post. This of course is due to what's known as "The Great Firewall of China". You can read about it on Wikipedia (which I find is also blocked) if you search under that term.

I will write more and post some pics from JingHong in a few days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok - I'll ask it....what on earth is Longyan? Presumably not animal - therefore vegetable or mineral???
Also curious about how much of a "giant" was the giant lizard?
Jane